Partner at Lynn Pinker Cox & Hurst
Shonn Brown is a highly respected trial lawyer and bar and civic leader, who counsels and advocates for businesses and individual clients engaged in complex legal disputes. Shonn has earned a stellar reputation among her professional peers, members of the judiciary and clients. A strong believer in the right to a jury trial, Shonn thrives on the opportunity to vigorously advocate for her clients throughout all phases of a dispute, particularly in trial.
Shonn is a strategic problem solver who excels when the stakes are high, achieving solid results for her clients, efficiently, and when needed, aggressively. Shonn has experience in an array of industries including private equity, construction, professional services, real estate, direct sales, banking and financial services and manufacturing, among others. She has expertise in dealing with trade secrets, fraud, breaches of fiduciary duty, employment, board governance, products liability, personal injury and contracts. In addition to her civil trial experience, Shonn has first-hand knowledge of the criminal courts from serving as a “Lawyer on Loan” to the Dallas County District Attorney’s Office, where she tried numerous cases to verdict.
Clients particularly like and respect Shonn’s frank demeanor, responsiveness and practical business-minded approach to handling matters. Her experience as counsel to both plaintiffs and defendants, as well as with arbitration proceedings provides her with complete perspective and the ability to anticipate her opponent’s strategies and tactics, eliminating unnecessary battles and allowing her to focus on the issues that truly matter.
Shonn is an avid runner, a veteran of the New York City Marathon and a supporter of the arts, education and the empowerment of girls and young women. Shonn enjoys spending time with her husband who is also a practicing attorney, and their three children.
– Obtained $1.4 million jury verdict on behalf of legacy company in Dallas against International corporation.
– Successful defense of $19 billion hedge fund and 2 of its partners in 4-week jury trial over alleged breaches of fiduciary duties and contracts.
– Obtained million dollar jury verdict on behalf of injured child at local school district against public school in 2-week federal jury trial.
– Defended private school in high profile 8-week jury trial.
– Successfully defended against purported nationwide class certification in Travis County District Court.
– Arbitrated construction claims resulting in favorable award for Claimant in design-build dispute against architect and designer.
– Tried and received favorable judgment in real estate dispute for major financial institution.
– Represented national financial services institutions in various unfair debt collection, wrongful foreclosure and other disputes.
– Provided general counsel and advice to insurance broker in multi-level sales and marketing company.
– Obtained injunctive relief against processing company for restaurant management company.
– Represented university in various litigation matters.
– Represented private university and independent parochial school in various litigation matters.
– Defended celebrity muscle car designer in complex business litigation dispute.- Represented leading independent sales company in complex matter involving board governance.
– Defended single purpose entity and individuals in major property dispute.
– Represented sales company in substantial personal injury dispute involving the State of Texas and large trucking companies.
– Represented major manufacturing company in products liability action.
– Obtained take nothing defense verdict for large international company in federal jury trial in FMLA retaliation case.- Tried and obtained JNOV for automobile company and affiliated companies in employment-related dispute.
– Obtained injunctive relief against former employees of software development company.
– Frequently handles numerous employment disputes including misappropriation of trade secrets, covenants not to compete and other general employment claims.
– Obtained favorable outcome for international athletic company in trademark dispute.
– Represented medical equipment manufacturing company as plaintiff in software action in both litigation and arbitration.
– Represent independent sales company in prosecuting trademark violation.
– Defended leading Energy company in wrongful death and personal injury matters.
– Dallas Bar Association
– Vice Chair, Bylaws Committee, 2015
– Co-Vice Chair, CLE Committee, 2015
– Director, 2013-present
– Co-Chair, 2014 Equal Access to Justice Campaign (raised over $915,000 for pro bono legal services)
– Secretary-Treasurer, 2012
– Patrick E. Higginbotham Inn of Court
– JL Turner Legal Association Foundation, Director, 2001-2004
– JL Turner Legal Association
– Vice President, 2002
– Recording Secretary, 2000
– Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
– Co-Chair, Lawyers Promoting Diversity Committee, 2005
– Named one of “The National Black Lawyers – Top 100”, 2016
– Recognized as an “SMU Dedman School of Law Distinguished Alumni”, 2016
– Litigation Counsel of America Fellow, 2016
– Selected as a “Best Lawyer in Dallas” in the area of Business Litigation by D Magazine, 2013-2017
– Named among the “Top Black Lawyers” by Savoy Magazine, 2015
– Recognized among the “Extraordinary Minorities in Texas Law” by Texas Lawyer, 2015
– Selected as “Texas Super Lawyer” by Texas Monthly and Law & Politics Magazine, 2013-2016
– Selected as “Top 50: Women Texas Super Lawyers” by Texas Monthly and Law & Politics Magazine, 2016
– Selected as a “Texas Rising Star” in the Texas Super Lawyer editions of Texas Monthly Magazine, 2005, 2008-2013
– Selected as one of the “Best Lawyers in Dallas under 40”, published in D Magazine, 2006
– Recognized as a History Maker by Black Alumni of Southern Methodist University
– “The Hon. Sam A. Lindsay Award for Professionalism and Ethics”
– “Multicultural Leadership Award”, Texas Diversity Council
– Southern Methodist University, B.S., 1995
– Southern Methodist University School of Law, J.D.,
– Order of the Barristers, 1998